Effective Date September 1, 2020
POS cares about protecting the privacy of children. If you are a parent or guardian, we encourage you to become involved in your children’s online experience, and to share your knowledge and experience with your young ones. If you are under 13, please do not register for our website or provide us with any contact or other information, including your name, postal address or email address. If you are between the ages of 13 and 18, you must obtain permission from your parent or guardian before registering for POS website or otherwise sending any contact or other information to POS.
Information Collected Through Our Website
Information You Provide Directly Through Our website
We and service providers working on our behalf will collect any information that you choose to provide directly through our website, including your name, email address, postal address, telephone number, password, age, payment card information, and country of residence. For example, such information may be collected when you:
- Register for an POS account, or any POS email newsletter.
- Email, text or otherwise share a story from any of the POS website links.
- Contact us for information or to ask a question.
- Post, upload, or otherwise submit to POS a comment, story idea, essay, photo, or other content or user-generated material (“User Materials”).
- Register for an POS tour or event or any contest we sponsor.
- Apply for a job, internship or fellowship at POS.
- If you choose to participate in a survey, we may ask you to provide your date of birth, gender, education level, information about your employment, income level and other information.
Like other non-profit organizations, we also track donation activity on an individual basis. Accordingly, if you choose to donate to POS, or express interest in or request information about making donations, we may keep a record of these contacts that includes your name, contact information and other information about your donation or inquiry. If you choose to donate to POS, your information may be collected directly by POS and/or an affiliated company.
We also may ask you to provide other information about yourself for various other purposes that we specify or make apparent at the time of collection.
Information Automatically Collected Through Technology
We and service providers working on our behalf automatically collect certain information about your computer or device and your interactions with our website through access logs, cookies, pixel tags and other tracking technologies. Depending on which POS website links you use and how you access them, the information collected automatically may include:
- The Internet Protocol address (IP address) of the computer or device you used to access the POS website or play podcasts or other media content downloaded through our website.
- The domain name of your Internet Service Provider.
- The website, application, platform or service you visited before and after visiting an POS website link.
- Search terms you enter using the POS website or on a referring website.
- Your approximate geographic location information (derived from request header information, such as your IP address) and/or more precise information about the specific location of your device if you have given POS explicit consent to receive this information for an POS application on your mobile device.
- The make, model, carrier and unique device identifier for your mobile device, the unique advertising identifier (for example, the Apple IDFA (Identifier for Advertisers) or Google Advertising ID) that allows mobile applications running on your mobile device to gather data for purposes of serving targeted advertising or personalized or “interest-based” sponsorship credits, and other information about your computer or mobile device and its browser, operating system, settings and software.
- Automobile make (for certain connected car platforms).
- The dates, times, duration, and frequency of your interactions with our website.
- Your navigation path through the POS website, including any “favorites” you select, and patterns in the paths you take.
- A list of files you download, listen to, view, email, text or otherwise share and other content preferences.
- The amount of time spent listening to or viewing media files or pages.
- Listening data collected both when you download and listen to podcasts or other media files. Listening data includes descriptions of the title, episodes, segments and sponsorship credits included in a podcast or other media file, time and date stamps for download and playback events (for example, when a file is downloaded and when playback of a particular segment or sponsorship credit starts, stops, is skipped or is paused), the mobile advertising identifier for your device (for example, the Apple IDFA or Google Advertising ID), session IDs and information about the device or platform used to download or play a particular file. The producers of any independently produced podcasts we distribute may also collect the same types of listening data subject to their own privacy policies, which may differ from ours.
- Information about your interactions with our email messages, such as links you click on and whether you open or forward a message, the date and time of these interactions, and information about the computer or device you use to read emails.
- Any errors you encountered during your use of our website.
Analytics Data Collection
How We Use the Information We Collect
We and service providers working on our behalf collect and use information to provide you with a customized interactive experience and to make our website more valuable to you. We also may use the information we collect for fundraising purposes to support our mission. POS and service providers working on our behalf also may use the information collected through our website:
- To manage, administer and improve the POS website.
- To respond to your questions or messages.
- To provide you with personalized features and content that are associated with your account or located near you and other content that may be of interest to you.
- To fulfill your POS Shop orders and other requests.
- To offer you access to POS tours and events.
- To process applications for jobs, internships and fellowships at POS.
- To process applications for volunteers for our POS Ambassador program.
- To manage contests you enter.
- To contact you for an online survey, or for other editorial purposes.
- To recognize you as the same user when you access our website using different computers, devices and browsers.
- To save and “remember” your registration information, settings and preferences so you do not have to re-enter this information each time you visit.
- With your consent where required by applicable law, to send you POS email newsletters and other communications, including marketing, fundraising, membership and other messages from POS.
- To understand whether and when you read our email messages and click on links in those messages.
- To control the sequence and frequency of sponsorship credits you hear and see and tailor the content of those messages to your perceived interests.
- To conduct market or audience analysis and related reporting.
- To help us measure and analyze user traffic and usage patterns and improve the quality and effectiveness of our content, features, sponsorship credits, and other communications.
- To generate aggregate or other information that does not directly identify you as an individual or the devices you use to access our website and use and share that information for POS’s purposes.
- In other ways and for other purposes that are described to you at the time we collect the information or for which we otherwise have your consent.
How We Disclose Information
POS is committed to maintaining your trust. We want you to understand when and with whom we and service providers working on our behalf may share information about you that is collected through our website.
Business transfers. We may share any collected information in connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of an POS Service or division, a merger, a consolidation, an asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
Legal requirements. We and service providers working on our behalf may disclose any collected information to respond to subpoenas, court orders, legal process, and other law enforcement measures, and to comply with legal or regulatory obligations.
With your consent. We and service providers working on our behalf may share any collected information when you expressly or implicitly consent to such disclosure. For example, if you use our website to email or text a story to a friend, we would disclose your name to that friend together with the content you directed us to send.
Wireless carriers and automobile manufacturers. Wireless carriers and automobile manufacturers also may collect contact and other information and precise location data from our mobile services users through processes we do not control. You should check the privacy policies of your wireless carriers and automobile manufacturers for additional information.
Podcast producers. We may share with third-party producers listening and other data that does not identify you that we collect through your interaction with the podcasts and other media files produced by those third-party producers.
Aggregated and anonymous information. Subject to applicable law and your opt-out choices described below, and as we deem appropriate, we may share with third parties or allow them to collect directly any aggregated or other information that does not directly identify you as an individual. Such information may be used and combined with other information collected by the receiving parties pursuant to their own respective privacy policies, which we don’t control. For example, we may share or authorize the collection of such information by service providers that help us analyze and improve our website, provide us and other digital media organizations with ratings and ranking data, help us to create personalized content, or tailor sponsorship credits to your interests. We may also share or authorize the collection of such information by sponsors or their agencies to help them measure the impact of their sponsorship campaigns.
You have the following choices to update, correct and limit the collection and use of information gathered through our website.
Registration information. Sign in to your POS account or Contact Us (make this clickable) to correct or update any registration information you provided to us, opt out of future email newsletters from us, or cancel your POS account, POS newsletter subscription or other POS registrations. For your protection, we may only act on requests with respect to the registration data associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may ask you to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable. We may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting a correction, update or cancellation.
Cookies. You have the option to set your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, notify you when a cookie is set, or delete cookies. Each browser is different, so select the “Help” menu in your browser for instructions on how to use the relevant tools and settings. Note that if you disable or delete cookies, you may lose access to certain features of the POS website.
Interest-based messages. To opt out of receiving personalized or “interest-based” online sponsorship credits from our service providers and other participating companies, visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices. For information about controlling the collection of cross-app data from your mobile device for personalized or “interest-based” advertising or sponsorship credit purposes, visit http://youradchoices.com/appchoices. UK users, other European Economic Area (EEA) users and Swiss users can learn more and access opt-out tools from http://www.youronlinechoices.eu/. You also may adjust the settings on your device. For iOS mobile devices, go to “Settings” from your device’s home screen, scroll down to “Privacy”, select “Advertising”, and turn on “Limit Ad Tracking.” For Android mobile devices, go to “Google Settings” on your device, select “Ads”; and check the box labeled “Opt Out of Interest-Based Ads” or “Opt Out of Ads Personalization.” (These device settings options may change in the future or otherwise may differ for certain devices; consult your device manufacturer’s support literature for the most current information).
Note that if you opt out, you may still receive the same number of sponsorship credits as before, but they may not be as relevant to your interests. Opting out of third-party interest-based sponsorship credits is a cookie-based process and will only affect the specific computer, device, and browser on which your opt-out choice is applied. If you subsequently delete your browser cookies, you will need to opt out again. For more information about opting out of interest-based messages, visit www.aboutads.info/choices.
Precise location information. If you consent to our collection of your precise device location through an POS mobile application, you can withdraw your consent at any time and prevent the further collection of your precise location by accessing the privacy settings of your mobile device and/or the settings of the POS mobile application.
Do Not Track
Links to and from Other Sites and Services
Our website contains links to other sites, applications, platforms and services operated by third parties whose privacy policies we don’t control and may differ significantly from ours. For instance, clicking or tapping on a sponsorship credit or some third-party logos on the POS website will take you to an entirely different site or service that may collect, use and share information in ways that POS would not. You also may access POS content and the POS website from a third-party site or service that may collect, use and share information in ways that POS would not. POS is not responsible for the content or privacy practices of these third-party services and we recommend that you familiarize yourself with the privacy policies of any such sites or services you visit or access.
Social Networking Services Sign-in and Sharing Tools
Users Outside the U.S.
For California Residents – Your California Privacy Rights
California residents can request and obtain from us once a year and free of charge a list of all third parties to which POS has disclosed certain information during the preceding calendar year for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and want such a list, please Contact Us (make this clickable). For all requests, you must put the statement “Your California Privacy Rights” in the message field of your request, as well as your name, street address, city, state, and zip code. Please note that we will not accept these requests by telephone, mail or fax, and we are not responsible for notices that are not labeled or sent properly, or that do not have complete information.